בְּרֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ וְהָאָרֶץ, הָיְתָה תֹהוּ וָבֹהוּ, וְחֹשֶׁךְ, עַל-פְּנֵי תְהוֹם; וְרוּחַ אֱלֹהִים, מְרַחֶפֶת עַל-פְּנֵי הַמָּיִם וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים, יְהִי אוֹר; וַיְהִי-אוֹר וַיַּרְא אֱלֹהִים אֶת-הָאוֹר, כִּי-טוֹב; וַיַּבְדֵּל אֱלֹהִים, בֵּין הָאוֹר וּבֵין הַחֹשֶׁךְ וַיִּקְרָא אֱלֹהִים לָאוֹר יוֹם, וְלַחֹשֶׁךְ קָרָא לָיְלָה; וַיְהִי-עֶרֶב וַיְהִי-בֹקֶר, יוֹם אֶחָד.
God’s first actions in creation are the definition of the format for his creation (בְּרֵאשִׁית, בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים, אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם, וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ ) and the creation of a dividing line between the light and the dark (וַיַּבְדֵּל אֱלֹהִים, בֵּין הָאוֹר וּבֵין הַחֹשֶׁךְ).
The purpose of your first exercise is to familiarize you with the relation between your composition and the format you are working with and to instruct you regarding the power of the line.
One sheet of Bristol paper 100cm*70cm – white.
One sheet of Bristol paper 100cm*70cm – black.
A black pencil. A brush and black ink. A black pen. A black felt tip.
- Divide your white bristol into at least 3 different formats – create the sky and the ground for your compositions.
- Using the black Bristol, and or any of the other means, create a division of the format using a single continuous line. Use a single technique on each format!
- Create at least one division that is Static (earth/ground).
- Create at least one division that is Dynamic (Water).
- Create at least one division that is Good.
- What Is the underlying idea behind your work – what have you created? Is it good? Are you happy with it?
- Notice the relationship between your line and the format.
- The creation of a line also defines the space surrounding the line.
- Create a number of sketches for the line, test a number of options before making your decisions – display these trials as part of your presentation.
- Examine your creation from various distances – what effect does it achieve at different viewpoints?
- Hang your compositions and sketches on the wall in class before the start of next lesson in a tidy and organized fashion.
Have a fruitful and fun semester!!!