Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Those of you who want to come to the Csides Digital Media and Electronic Music festival held at the Jerusalem Convention Center this week can meet me there. I will meet those of you who want to come at the Jerusalem Central Bus Station on Thursday 31.8.06 at 16:00
IF YOU CALL ME FIRST!!!
Info regarding the festival: www.csides.net
Tickets wil cost 50 shekel per person
Hope to see you there,
המכון הטכנולוגי חולון - ביה"ס לעיצוב
View this syllabus in English
מייק דרנל –
שיטת ההדרכה בקורס
נוכחות, ציונים ומדיניות בקורס
שירותים הקיימים במכון
במכון קיימים מספר שירותים העומדים לרשות הסטודנטים במהלך הלימודים:
זוהי רשימה של ציוד אשר עשוי להיות שימושי במהלך הלימודים בקורס. אל תקנו ציוד כלשהו עד אשר ברור לכם כי יש לכם צורך בו.
Friday, August 25, 2006
Course Syllabus: Foundations Of Design
Monday 9:00-13:00, Thursday 14:00-18:00
for a total of 8 weekly credit hours
Mike Darnell, Anat Litan and all of you people.
- Students will learn the foundations of the visual language of Design and gain a common basis for dialog.
- Students will learn and experience first-hand the following fundamental principals of Design: 2D and 3D Composition, Color, Texture, Pattern, Object, Space, Abstraction.
- Students will experience first-hand the Design process as a creative and intellectual effort based on cultural and associative factors related to Place, and Time – Zeitgeist.
- Students will learn Designers' work processes and practices and begin to develop and interpret them to suit their personal style.
- Students will be introduced to the Israeli art and design scene.
- Presentations of Black and White 2D and 3D compositions made of predefined materials leading to discussions regarding proportion, weight, shape, point, line, plane, format, and the relationships between all the above.
- Presentations of 2D and 3D Color compositions made of predefined materials and ready made items leading to discussions regarding expression, emotion, feeling, function, association, cultural icons and their relationship with the points discussed above in paragraph 1.
- Presentations of evolved 2D and 3D compositions involving all the points discussed above and introducing new terms such as: shell, volume, space, etc.
Course Instructional Methods
The course is composed of studio lessons, presentations, lectures and field trips
- Studio lessons - Involve personal instruction given to students regarding the topical exercise currently being discussed in the class. Instruction will be given on a one-on-one basis or small groups while the class is engaged in work on the task at hand.
- Presentations - Involve constructive class discussions of the merits and weak points of assignments completed during studio lessons or at home.
- Lectures - Two types of lectures will be given during the course:
Instructors' lectures will usually be given as an introduction to a new fundamental principle of design. Students lectures will be given at the beginning of most classes and will introduce an Israeli or international artist or designer.
- Field Trips - Two field trips are planned for the semester to Galleries and Museums displaying Israeli Art and Design.
- Blog – You are all required to run a Blog at www.blogger.com in English/Hebrew discussing your experiences in class and displaying your projects and sketches. This Blog is a vital requirement for the course as it will allow you to communicate with us, yourselves and your friends and family abroad.
- Attendance – Attendance is required at all lessons as each one of you is responsible not only for your own development but also for the development of your classmates. If you wish to miss out on a class for whatever reason you are required to notify us by phone/mail at the earliest possible time. Students missing out on a lesson without permission will have a demerit counted against themselves for grading purposes.
- Lateness – Students arriving over five minutes late to the lesson will not be allowed to enter the class until the next break. Students accumulating three instances of lateness will have a demerit counted against themselves for grading purposes.
- Participation – You are strongly encouraged to participate in class debates and voice your opinions. We will not judge you based on your opinions no matter how extreme they may seem to you.
Good designers should have strong opinions about nearly everything : - )
- Missed Assignments – If you feel that you will not be able to complete an assignment on time you are required to notify us by phone/mail at the earliest possible time. Students missing out on an assignment without notifying us in advance will have a demerit counted against themselves for grading purposes.
- Grading – Grades will be given at the end of semester and will be based on your performance and participation during the semester and on the presentation of your projects as you choose to display them at the end of the semester “Panel”.
- The Panel is an event held at the end of the semester in which you will be required to display all of the work you have done during the semester in a well designed personal display backed up by a CD containing pictures of all your work and your Blog as well.
Facilities at your disposal
HIT has a number of facilities that you will find extremely useful in completing your course assignments and projects. We strongly suggest that you familiarize yourselves with these facilities ASAP.
● Computer Labs
● Garden and Lawn (great for sitting thinking and sketching)
Follows a list of equipment you may find useful in the course.
DO NOT BUY ANY EQUIPMENT UNTIL YOU ARE SURE YOU NEED IT
● Metal ruler
● Japanese knife (Box Cutter)
● Cutting surface
We wish you a fruitful and fun semester!!!
Mike and Anat
This is the first posting for the Foundations of Design course at the HIT Blog.
Currently Anat Litan and myself are finalizing the course syllabus (in fact we have a meeting later on today...)
You should all be aware that a Blog on "Blogger" recording your experiences in this course , and linked to this Blog is a fundamental requirement for the course so I suggest you all start Blogging ASAP.
I want you all to start of by posting on your personal Blogs the portfolios you so graciously sent me.
Those of you who haven't yet sent me your Portfolio - now would be the right time to do so...
Lets get Busy